Skip to main content

One Year of Sobriety

Last week, on August 10, I reached a milestone I had to work hard at every second of every day for 365 days: one year of sobriety.

This is not my first sobriety rodeo, and I’ll continue to take it one day at a time, as I pray this time it sticks for the rest of my life.


Since a young teenager, I’ve been struggling with substance abuse, never thinking I’d see (nor did I want to experience) a sober day.


However, after some personal, life-changing experiences in 2022, I mustered up the courage to get sober in February 2023.


After relapsing in 2024, I hopped back on the sober bandwagon on August 10, 2025.


It’s now August 16, 2026, and I am officially one year and six days sober.


I pray opening up about my struggles and journey can help others who can relate and may be struggling with addiction as well, or in recovery themselves.


My sobriety is my life’s greatest achievement.


I used substances for many reasons, one being to numb.

Feelings can be difficult to face/navigate and life can be challenging!


Sobriety is not easy, but it’s worth it. 

I can feel the difference in myself as a person, my character, and I don’t want to go backwards from this.

Having faith over fear and facing challenges head-on is possible to do while sober— God is our strength, lean on Him.

My goal is to keep close to God and continue growing in the direction He intends/wants for me— Thy will be done.


The biggest improvement I’ve seen over the past year of continuous sobriety has been my spirituality and health (mentally and physically).


The best part about sobriety is my ever-growing friendship with God.

I have always felt God’s presence in my life; but now, I feel proud of myself for staying sober— it feels like I’m honoring His will for me by doing the right thing.

Substances built a barrier between us, and I don’t want to feel distant from Him again.


Let go and let God. 


My favorite part about sobriety is my ability to trust myself more— because I trust in God. 

I am clear-minded and grounded, now more than ever, and I can count and depend on myself to make decisions because I pray first— allowing myself to respond instead of react. I am by no means perfect, but I’m better than I used to be— and proud of it!


Thankful for my parents, my partner, my sponsor and support system!


Thank you, God. 

Glory to you, God.



I wrote this poem on my one year anniversary, called “Milestone”:


Milestone


One year of sobriety

Letting God take the lead

His word, guiding

What a blessing

Grateful for the path I’m on

Pray to be my best for His Kingdom

Thy will be done


~ C.R.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Welcome, my name is Carly. I will be 35 years old this month and 8 months sober (God willing)! I have found my remedy for substance abuse— animals. Especially dogs and cats. Several years ago, I rescued 3 cats from the same mother, different litters, all sisters.  I kept one (Belle) and gave the other two (Baby and Boo) to my sister. I got sober in August 2025 and adopted a rescue dog, Penny, from Puerto Rico in November 2025!  She was at the Patty Baker Humane Society in Naples, FL.  This was an early Christmas present for my boyfriend, who is also in recovery. Four months later, March 2026, I was volunteering at a puppy adoption event and fell in love with another rescue who we quickly adopted, Buddy. Buddy was rescued by Snip Collier in Naples, FL with a fractured leg, pellet wound, severe ear infections, and heart worm. They’ve recently amputated both of his ears so he can live comfortably. Buddy is on the road to recovery as his ears heal from surgery; he’...

Skateboarding

Let’s talk about it! Given that my partner was a pro who used to skateboard for and tour with Nike— skateboarding is a hot topic in our house.   Whether it’s playing on the TV (always) or he’s coming to or from the park— skateboarding is something we’ve really come to bond over. We’re both in addiction recovery and find it to be an active, healthy outlet. When we first met, we were always going to different skateparks.  He even taught me how to ollie! One of my favorite memories was an event at Lot 11 in Miami where we saw Travis Scott— and also snapped some pics on the handy polaroid with Lil Dre, Robert Neal, Kareem Campbell, Jax Decker and Zion Effs!   Life’s been busy and hectic recently— we’re both wanting to get back to the skatepark together. 

Root Words Writing Workshop: Courage

This morning, August 8, Ruby (little doggy muse) and I attended one of Poetess Nat's Root Words writer's workshops. Natalie hosts open mic nights and writers workshops for the community, encouraging others to free their voice. I am beyond grateful for her time, energy and sacrifices she makes to uplift others by creating positive community events. Natalie told us today, "connect to the place you're writing from.. connect to your heart" She organized a thoughtful workshop, involving multiple individual writing sessions revolving around root words provided and one poem the group listened to at the beginning of the workshop together, called "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas. The word I learned and felt most connected to today was pugnare, which is Latin for "to fight"; with courage being the theme of the workshop, I feel like the workshop brought out something I've held in, something that's attempted to hold me back. ...