This morning, August 8, Ruby (little doggy muse) and I attended one of Poetess Nat's Root Words writer's workshops.
Natalie hosts open mic nights and writers workshops for the community, encouraging others to free their voice.
I am beyond grateful for her time, energy and sacrifices she makes to uplift others by creating positive community events.
Natalie told us today, "connect to the place you're writing from.. connect to your heart"
She organized a thoughtful workshop, involving multiple individual writing sessions revolving around root words provided and one poem the group listened to at the beginning of the workshop together, called "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas.
The word I learned and felt most connected to today was pugnare, which is Latin for "to fight"; with courage being the theme of the workshop, I feel like the workshop brought out something I've held in, something that's attempted to hold me back.
But, I choose to fight.
Pugnare.
Below is the poem I wrote during this session, called "From: Me".
From: Me
It's been too long
Your intentions, wrong
My talents, bright
You wanted to dim my light
And for me to doubt myself, hurt
But I'm coming out of the dark
I want my creative soul to be free
My art to be seen,
Words to be heard
While wearing God's armor
As I shed light on His Word
Your letter to me, let it burn
My song to you,
Mute
Because I'd never stoop
To your level
Through other's pain, you revel
Sincerely, I wish you well
"Love thy neighbor as thyself"
~ Carly Reed
Comments
Post a Comment