Directly after college— where I obtained my bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from the University of Maryland— I up and moved to Naples, Florida to start working.
At my first job as an ocularist intern in 2014, I was taught how to fabricate prosthetic eyes.
Every case/patient was special and impactful, but there is one I will always vividly remember— the young girl who was mauled by two pit bulls.
This child endured many injuries from the attack, one being the loss of an eye.
Grateful for the ability to help her, but heartsick by the outcome of this unfortunate event: I became terrified of this dog breed— the pit bull.
Fast forward to February 2026, I couldn’t say no to a dog in need, and we ended up fostering a pit bull (let’s call him Rex) for a week.
Rex stole my heart and I still find myself thinking about him with a smile on my face; just like I think about that day the young girl got a prosthetic eye and smiled at herself in the mirror.
I pray for and think about Rex all the time, just like I still pray and think about the little girl twelve years later.
Through my experiences, this is one full circle moment where I learned not to judge.

Comments
Post a Comment