Skip to main content

8 Months of Sobriety

Today— April 10, 2026— I am 8 months sober. 

God gave me the Gift Of Desperation on August 10, 2025, and I am forever grateful.


I celebrated my sobriety today at a local church garden with my dogs, where I prayed and reflected on the past 8 months— the struggles, growth, and quiet victories that brought me to this moment.


Reminiscing on where I started, how far I’ve come, and the life I’m continuing to rebuild— I am trusting that each step forward from here will be purposeful and guided by God. 


Thy will be done.


“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”

~ Romans 8:28






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Welcome, my name is Carly. I will be 35 years old this month and 8 months sober (God willing)! I have found my remedy for substance abuse— animals. Especially dogs and cats. Several years ago, I rescued 3 cats from the same mother, different litters, all sisters.  I kept one (Belle) and gave the other two (Baby and Boo) to my sister. I got sober in August 2025 and adopted a rescue dog, Penny, from Puerto Rico in November 2025!  She was at the Patty Baker Humane Society in Naples, FL.  This was an early Christmas present for my boyfriend, who is also in recovery. Four months later, March 2026, I was volunteering at a puppy adoption event and fell in love with another rescue who we quickly adopted, Buddy. Buddy was rescued by Snip Collier in Naples, FL with a fractured leg, pellet wound, severe ear infections, and heart worm. They’ve recently amputated both of his ears so he can live comfortably. Buddy is on the road to recovery as his ears heal from surgery; he’...

Skateboarding

Let’s talk about it! Given that my partner was a pro who used to skateboard for and tour with Nike— skateboarding is a hot topic in our house.   Whether it’s playing on the TV (always) or he’s coming to or from the park— skateboarding is something we’ve really come to bond over. We’re both in addiction recovery and find it to be an active, healthy outlet. When we first met, we were always going to different skateparks.  He even taught me how to ollie! One of my favorite memories was an event at Lot 11 in Miami where we saw Travis Scott— and also snapped some pics on the handy polaroid with Lil Dre, Robert Neal, Kareem Campbell, Jax Decker and Zion Effs!   Life’s been busy and hectic recently— we’re both wanting to get back to the skatepark together. 

Root Words Writing Workshop: Courage

This morning, August 8, Ruby (little doggy muse) and I attended one of Poetess Nat's Root Words writer's workshops. Natalie hosts open mic nights and writers workshops for the community, encouraging others to free their voice. I am beyond grateful for her time, energy and sacrifices she makes to uplift others by creating positive community events. Natalie told us today, "connect to the place you're writing from.. connect to your heart" She organized a thoughtful workshop, involving multiple individual writing sessions revolving around root words provided and one poem the group listened to at the beginning of the workshop together, called "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas. The word I learned and felt most connected to today was pugnare, which is Latin for "to fight"; with courage being the theme of the workshop, I feel like the workshop brought out something I've held in, something that's attempted to hold me back. ...